The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), a division of the U.S. Department of Transportation, has released statistics regarding the motor vehicle accident deaths that occurred on U.S. roadways in 2012. According to these statistics:
- Motor vehicle accident deaths totaled 34,080 in 2012, which represented a more than 5 percent increase from the reported 32,367 traffic accident fatalities that took place in 2011.
- While the biggest spike in motor vehicle accident deaths occurred in the first quarter of 2012, with nearly 13 percent more fatalities occurring during January through March of 2012 than in the same months during 2011, all four quarters of 2012 had more traffic accident deaths than those in 2011.
- The 2012 increase in traffic accident deaths is the first time since 2005 that the reported number of fatalities has increased, rather than decreased.
- Nearly all regions of the U.S. experienced an increase in traffic accident deaths, with the biggest increases taking place in the northeastern states, which had about a 15 percent increase in traffic fatalities, and the southwestern states, which had about a 10 percent increase in traffic fatalities.
- The only states that experienced a decrease in traffic accident deaths were New York, Pennsylvania, Montana, Idaho, Oregon and Washington (all of which experience a decrease of less than 1 percent).
Although the recent spike in traffic accident deaths that took place in 2012 may alarm some lawmakers, regulators and others, NHTSA researchers have stated that:
- Such spikes are statistically expected.
- Factors, such as economic improvements and increased job opportunities, may be putting more drivers on the roads than had been in previous years.
Lone Tree Car Accident Attorneys
If you have been injured in or have lost a loved one in a truck accident, car accident or in any type of traffic accident, you are encouraged to consult with the motor vehicle accident lawyers at the Law Office of Mike Hulen, PC.
Our trusted Lone Tree personal injury and accident attorneys have a proven track record of successfully handling car accident cases, wrongful death suits and other types of personal injury lawsuits, and we are experienced at helping victims and their families secure the maximum possible settlement for their losses. We encourage those who think they may have a claim to meet with us for a free initial consult to learn more about their legal rights and to receive a thorough evaluation of their case. Call us at (303) 932-8666 to get your case started at no upfront cost.