Wrapping up 6 Distracted Driving Myths Debunked, here is the conclusion to our discussion regarding the truth behind some of the most commonly held distracted driving myths.
Myth 5: Only fender benders and minor accidents are caused by distracted driving.
False! Distracted driving is a form of negligent and reckless driving that can be as deadly as drunk driving, driving while fatigued and intentionally disobeying traffic laws. In fact, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) reports that:
- Distracted driving is a factor in about 1 in every 4 motor vehicle accidents.
- More than 1.6 million car accidents are caused by distracted drivers every year in the U.S.
- While these accidents reportedly result in more than 330,000 injuries on an annual basis, they also cause about 11 teenagers to sustain fatal injuries every day.
The fact is that distracted driving impairs motorists’ abilities to recognize and appropriately respond to the changing driving conditions surrounding them and that this can (and does) lead to severe and deadly car accidents every day in the U.S.
Myth 6: Texting while a vehicle is stopped at red lights or stop signs is safe.
Wrong! While it may be convenient to think that you are safe to use your cellphone, text and stop paying attention to the road when your vehicle is stopped at a traffic light or stop sign, this is unfortunately not the case. Drivers need to be committed to being focused on the road and the task of driving at all times when they are behind the wheel of a running vehicle. This is because:
- They have to be ready to respond to other drivers’ actions.
- They have to be aware of pedestrians/bicycle riders/others who may be sharing the roadways with them.
- They ultimately are responsible for doing their part to promote safety and not endanger others’ lives (by doing anything that may increase the risk of car accidents).
Littleton Car Accident Attorneys at the Law Office of Mike Hulen, PC
If you have been injured in or have lost a loved one in a truck accident, car accident or in any type of traffic accident, you are encouraged to consult with the motor vehicle accident lawyers at the Law Office of Mike Hulen, PC. Meeting with one of our esteemed attorneys as soon as your health is stabilized can ensure that you ultimately have the strongest case possible, as waiting will start immediately running out the statute of limitations for your case and could even result in the loss of critical evidence.
Our trusted Littleton personal injury and accident attorneys have a proven track record of successfully handling car accident cases, wrongful death suits and other types of personal injury lawsuits, and we are experienced at helping victims and their families secure the maximum possible settlement for their losses. We encourage those who think they may have a claim to meet with us for a free initial consult to learn more about their legal rights and to receive a thorough evaluation of their case. Call us at (303) 932-8666 to get your case started at no upfront cost.