Texting while driving is a serious problem among drivers, especially younger, less experienced drivers. In fact, while the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration estimates that texting while driving is a factor in approximately 23 percent of all motor vehicle accidents that occur in the U.S. each year, the agency has also found that texting while driving:
- Causes about 11 teenagers to die every day in the U.S
- Is about 6 times more likely to result in an accident than drunk driving and is similar to driving after having consumed about 4 alcoholic beverages
- Is the leading form of driver distraction among drivers who are 20 years old and younger.
Given how pervasive and problematic texting while driving is, some tech firms have taken the initiative to develop apps that can prevent texting while driving among teenagers. Here is an overview of some of the most effective apps targeted at curbing this destructive habit:
- Canary – This app, which costs $14.99 for a lifetime subscription, notifies parents when their teens are attempt to unlock their cellphones while driving. It can also be configured to alert parents when teen drivers are driving outside of a specific geographic zone, have violated a curfew and/or are speeding.
- CellControl – This app, which costs $89, involves both an app for cellphones and a device that has to be installed in the steering column of a vehicle. When the vehicle starts moving, the installed device sends a popup to the driver’s phone, which effectively prevents him or her from being able to text while driving. The popup is disarmed when the vehicle stops moving. However, if and when a cellphone user tries to subvert the popup, an alert is immediately sent parents’ phones to let them know that the teen driver has tried to tamper with the popup.
For additional information on apps that can prevent your teenager from texting while driving, be sure to check out the upcoming Part 2 of this blog.
Greenwood Village Car Accident Attorneys
If you have been injured in or have lost a loved one in a truck accident, car accident or in any type of traffic accident, you are encouraged to consult with the motor vehicle accident lawyers at the Law Office of Mike Hulen, PC. Meeting with one of our esteemed attorneys as soon as your health is stabilized can ensure that you ultimately have the strongest case possible, as waiting will start immediately running out the statute of limitations for your case and could even result in the loss of critical evidence.
Our trusted Greenwood Village personal injury and accident attorneys have a proven track record of successfully handling car accident cases, wrongful death suits and other types of personal injury lawsuits, and we are experienced at helping victims and their families secure the maximum possible settlement for their losses. We encourage those who think they may have a claim to meet with us for a free initial consult to learn more about their legal rights and to receive a thorough evaluation of their case. Call us at (303) 932-8666 to get your case started at no upfront cost.