Your Colorado Personal Injury Attorney

Over 40 Years
Experience Working For You

  • Personal Injury ∙

  • Family Law ∙
  • Mediation

Protecting You.

professional lawyers

Case Attention

We take the time with each and every one of our clients to understand their needs.

Learn More
judge mallet

Injury Law

Have you been hurt at work? We have the knowledge to help with your case.

Learn More
approval ribon

You Need

Our combined experience exceeds 40 years. You’ll want us to represent you.

Learn More

Free Case

Have some questions? Fill out a simple questionnaire and tell us about your case.

Learn More

Driving on Icy Roads: What to Do When Your Vehicle Starts Skidding (Part 2)

Here are some tips on what to do if the front tires of your vehicle start skidding or if your car gets stuck in the snow.

Here are some tips on what to do if the front tires of your vehicle start skidding or if your car gets stuck in the snow.

Continuing from Driving on Icy Roads: What to Do When Your Vehicle Starts Skidding (Part 1)¸ the following provides some additional information regarding how drivers should handle their vehicles in the event they start skidding on icy or snowy roadways. While Part 1 of this blog presented step-by-step instructions on what drivers should do when the rear wheels of their vehicles start to skid, here in Part 2, we will outline what motorists should do when the front wheels of their vehicles skid on icy roads. We will also provide information on what to do if your vehicle gets stuck in the snow or in icy conditions.

When the Front Wheels of Your Vehicle Start Skidding…

If you are driving on icy roadways this winter and the front wheels of your car or truck begin to lose traction and skid, here’s what you should do in an effort to regain control of your vehicle:

  1. Stop stepping on the accelerator pedal.
  2. Shift your vehicle into neutral.
  3. Refrain from trying to steer the vehicle until you feel the car slowing down and the traction slowly return.
  4. As the traction returns, slowly steer the vehicle in the direction you want to go (either to counteract the movement of the skid or get your vehicle safely pulled over off of the roadway).
  5. Once you have been able to steer the car successfully, put the vehicle back into driver (or release the clutch for manual cars) and slowly start to step down on the accelerator.
  6. Repeat these steps as necessary.

If Your Vehicle Gets Stuck in the Snow…

  1. Avoid accelerating when it only spins your wheels, as this will only entrench your car deeper in the snow.
  2. Try rotating your wheels from side to side to unpack the snow around the front and rear wheels.
  3. Only lightly step down on the accelerator to see if you have enough traction to slowly ease your vehicle out of the snow.
  4. Try clearing additional snow from around the vehicle’s tires by using a shovel or ice scrapper. You can also try to give your tires some traction by putting kitty litter, sand or gravel in the path beneath them.

Lone Tree Car Accident Attorneys

If you have been injured in or have lost a loved one in a truck accident, car accident or in any type of traffic accident, you are encouraged to consult with the motor vehicle accident lawyers at the Law Office of Mike Hulen, PC. Meeting with one of our esteemed attorneys as soon as your health is stabilized can ensure that you ultimately have the strongest case possible, as waiting will start immediately running out the statute of limitations for your case and could even result in the loss of critical evidence.

Our trusted Lone Tree personal injury and accident attorneys have a proven track record of successfully handling car accident cases, wrongful death suits and other types of personal injury lawsuits, and we are experienced at helping victims and their families secure the maximum possible settlement for their losses. We encourage those who think they may have a claim to meet with us for a free initial consult to learn more about their legal rights and to receive a thorough evaluation of their case. Call us at (303) 932-8666 to get your case started at no upfront cost.

Comments are closed.