As a follow up to How to Prepare for a Personal Injury Lawsuit (Part 1), here are some additional tips on what you should do to give yourself the best chances of moving your case closer towards a settlement:
- Figure out if there are any witnesses: People who saw the incident in question can provide witness testimony to support your claims at trial. Be sure to document the names and contact information for anyone who witnessed the accident or event so that you can contact them later if necessary. It’s important to note that, in the event a personal injury lawsuit is being filed due to a car accident, obtaining the police report can be an easy way to immediately collect all the names (and associated contact information) for the witnesses.
- Calculate the approximate costs of the personal injuries and damage: If you win your personal injury lawsuit, the granted settlement will include compensation for all of the costs of your medical bills, car repair bills and any other costs associated with recovering from the incident. Calculating this total can be complicated, so it’s critical that you keep records of all of your bills associated with your injuries following the event.
- Seek medical attention: Immediately after the event that caused your personal injury, it will be essential that you see a doctor for an official diagnosis. Waiting to seek medical attention – or failing to see a doctor at all – can significantly hurt your case, as it will give the defense evidence to question the nature and severity of your injuries (or even to claim that you were not injured at all).
- Seek legal support: With all there is to do to prepare for a personal injury lawsuit, victims should secure the services of an experienced accident lawyer to ensure that:
- Their best interests and their rights are being fully protected
- All of the necessary evidence for the case is collected appropriately
- They have optimal chances of winning their case and a settlement to compensate them for their injuries, mental anguish and losses.
The trusted Denver personal injury attorneys at the Law Office of Mike Hulen, PC encourage accident victims to meet with us for a free initial consult to learn more about their legal rights and to receive a thorough evaluation of their case. Our lawyers are dedicated to helping accident victims secure the compensation they deserve so that they can focus on recovering and moving forward with their lives. If you have been injured in a car accident or any event caused by another person’s negligence, call us at (303) 932-8666.