Although intersections can help facilitate traffic, particularly at the cross sections of two or more highly traveled roadways, these areas can also be problematic for inexperienced drivers, distracted drivers and other motorists as the convergence of many vehicles in a relatively small area can increase the risk of car accidents.
Here and in a second part of this blog, we will take a closer look at some of the specific causes of intersection car accidents and discuss some recently compiled intersection car accident statistics to highlight the prevalence of these collisions.
Intersection Car Accident Causes
Any number of different factors can come into play and cause intersection car accidents. Some of the most common include:
- Factors related to driver errors, some of which may include:
- Insufficient experience or training for drivers, which can prevent them from having the awareness or skills necessary to respond to the changing conditions at intersections
- Driver intoxication or fatigue, both of which have been proven to slow down drivers’ reaction times and limit their ability to perceive potential dangers related to driving conditions at intersections
- Driver distraction, which is another factor that can significantly impair motorists’ perception and reaction times
- Drivers’ intentional disregard for traffic laws, which namely includes drivers speeding, choosing to run red lights, failing to yield the right-of-way at intersections, etc.
- Additional factors that may or may not be related to human error, some of which may include:
- Vehicle equipment malfunctions, such as brake failures or tire blowouts
- Dangerous road conditions, such as icy roads or debris (e.g., tree branches or animal carcasses) in the roadway
- Poor weather conditions, like particularly heavy rain, heavy fog, hail and/or snow
- Red-light cameras, which can increase the chances that drivers may be distracted or inadvertently disobey traffic laws as they are distracted by these cameras.
Stay posted for our upcoming second part of this blog some fascinating intersection accident statistics.
Douglas County Car Accident Attorneys
If you have been injured in or have lost a loved one in a truck accident, car accident or in any type of traffic accident, you are encouraged to consult with the motor vehicle accident lawyers at the Law Office of Mike Hulen, PC. Meeting with one of our esteemed attorneys as soon as your health is stabilized can ensure that you ultimately have the strongest case possible, as waiting will start immediately running out the statute of limitations for your case and could even result in the loss of critical evidence.
Our trusted Douglas County personal injury and accident attorneys have a proven track record of successfully handling car accident cases, wrongful death suits and other types of personal injury lawsuits, and we are experienced at helping victims and their families secure the maximum possible settlement for their losses. We encourage those who think they may have a claim to meet with us for a free initial consult to learn more about their legal rights and to receive a thorough evaluation of their case. Call us at (303) 932-8666 to get your case started at no upfront cost.