Wrapping up the two-part blog Intersection Car Accidents¸ below, we will present some interesting intersection car accident statistics. These statistics, which have been put together by various federal agencies and insurance companies, can shed light on the prevalence of these car accidents, as well as what are the more common causes of them.
According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), AAA and other agencies:
- Approximately 4 out of every 10 motor vehicle accidents that take place on U.S. roadways each year occur at intersections.
- Red-light cameras at intersections can increase the risk of car accidents by as much as 80 percent.
- More than 95 percent of all intersection car accidents can be attributed (at least in part) to driver error. In contrast, driver error plays a role in about 92 percent of non-intersection car accidents.
- When driver error is a factor in causing intersection car accidents, the most common error made is that drivers are not properly surveying the driving conditions at intersections.
- Other forms of driver error that commonly contribute to intersection car accidents are as follows:
- Making inaccurate assumptions as to what other drivers will be doing accounts for about 8.4 percent of intersection car accidents.
- Turning when views are obstructed plays a role in causing about 7.8 percent of intersection car accidents.
- Failing to obey traffic laws accounts for about 6.8 percent of intersection car accidents.
- Not fully paying attention to the task of driving and falsely assessing other drivers’ speeds play a role in causing about 5.7 percent and 5.5 percent of intersection accidents (respectively).
- When drivers between the ages of 25 and 50 are responsible for causing intersection car accidents, the most common error cited is driver distraction, making an illegal maneuver and/or driving recklessly.
- When drivers who are 55 years old or older are responsible for causing intersection car accidents, the most common error cited is misjudging the actions of other drivers at intersections.
Lone Tree Car Accident Attorneys
If you have been injured in or have lost a loved one in a truck accident, car accident or in any type of traffic accident, you are encouraged to consult with the motor vehicle accident lawyers at the Law Office of Mike Hulen, PC. Meeting with one of our esteemed attorneys as soon as your health is stabilized can ensure that you ultimately have the strongest case possible, as waiting will start immediately running out the statute of limitations for your case and could even result in the loss of critical evidence.
Our trusted Lone Tree personal injury and accident attorneys have a proven track record of successfully handling car accident cases, wrongful death suits and other types of personal injury lawsuits, and we are experienced at helping victims and their families secure the maximum possible settlement for their losses. We encourage those who think they may have a claim to meet with us for a free initial consult to learn more about their legal rights and to receive a thorough evaluation of their case. Call us at (303) 932-8666 to get your case started at no upfront cost.