While you may think that you know what to do if you are in a car accident or other type of motor vehicle accident, the reality is that:
- Thankfully, most people are not involved in traffic accidents often enough to know everything that they should – and should not – do when they are involved in some type of motor vehicle accident.
- When these accidents occur, it’s highly likely that your adrenaline will be running high and that, as a result, you may not be thinking very clearly – especially if someone you know is injured in the accident.
- People often make mistakes that could complicate their insurance claims or even cause them to lose ground in a future car accident lawsuit.
Given these facts, let’s take a closer look at some of the most common mistakes people make after getting into car accidents so you know how to avoid them in order to protect your rights to future compensation. Some of the most common mistakes made after traffic accidents include:
- Leaving the scene of the accident before police get there: After a traffic accident, you or other drivers may panic (maybe because a driver is intoxicated or otherwise broke the law and caused the accident) and end up leaving the scene of the accident before police arrive. Regardless of why a driver may want to flee the scene, leaving will only make the situation worse, as the driver who leaves will likely be charged with a hit-and-run.
Additionally, insurance companies will typically view leaving the scene of an accident in an unfavorable light and could argue, depending on the other circumstances of the accident, that fleeing the scene is an implicit admission of guilt in causing the accident.
- Admitting fault in the accident: Never admit to police or insurance companies as having any fault in the accident. Such admissions of fault, even if the fault is ever so slight, could seriously mitigate any compensation to which you may be entitled in the event another person’s negligence caused the motor vehicle accident. Instead, if you are asked a direct question about your potential fault, defer the individual asking the question to your attorney, who is skilled at addressing these questions without impeding your rights and entitlements.
Littleton Car Accident Attorneys
If you have been injured in or have lost a loved one in a truck accident, car accident or in any type of traffic accident, you are encouraged to consult with the motor vehicle accident lawyers at the Law Office of Mike Hulen, PC. Meeting with one of our esteemed attorneys as soon as your health is stabilized can ensure that you ultimately have the strongest case possible, as waiting will start immediately running out the statute of limitations for your case and could even result in the loss of critical evidence.
Our trusted Littleton personal injury and accident attorneys have a proven track record of successfully handling car accident cases, wrongful death suits and other types of personal injury lawsuits, and we are experienced at helping victims and their families secure the maximum possible settlement for their losses. We encourage those who think they may have a claim to meet with us for a free initial consult to learn more about their legal rights and to receive a thorough evaluation of their case. Call us at (303) 932-8666 to get your case started at no upfront cost.