According to the Center for Disease Control and the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, a pedestrian is killed in a car accident in the U.S. every two hours, and a pedestrian is injured in a traffic accident every 8 minutes. In fact, pedestrians are nearly twice as likely as occupants of passenger vehicles to be killed in a traffic accident. Clearly, car versus pedestrian accidents are among the most serious types of traffic accidents that can occur, as pedestrians:
- Have no protection from the impact of these accidents
- Weigh significantly less than cars and other motor vehicles, which means that even low-speed accidents can have devastating consequences to unprotected pedestrians
Consequently, it’s common for these accidents to result in serious, potentially life-threatening injuries, the most typical of which generally include:
- Head injuries
- Traumatic brain injuries
- Neck and back injuries
- Spinal cord injuries
- Loss of limb
- Paraplegia or quadriplegia
Pedestrians Who Have the Greatest Risk
Pedestrians who are most likely to be involved in traffic accidents that could severely injure or kill them include those who:
- Are older than 65 years old (The elderly accounted for nearly 20 percent of all pedestrian deaths in the U.S. each year.)
- Children between 5 and 9 years old (Approximately 1 in every 5 children between 5 and 9 years old who dies in a traffic accident is a pedestrian.)
- Were impaired by alcohol or were hit by an alcohol-impaired driver (Nearly 50 percent of all fatal car accidents that involved pedestrian deaths also involved alcohol impairment either on behalf of the at-fault driver or the pedestrian).
Denver Pedestrian Accident Attorneys
If you have been injured as a pedestrian or have lost a loved one in a traffic accident, you are encouraged to consult with the motor vehicle accident lawyers at the Law Office of Mike Hulen, PC.
Our trusted Denver personal injury and accident attorneys have a proven track record of successfully handling traffic accident cases, wrongful death suits and other types of personal injury lawsuits, and we are experienced at helping victims and their families secure the maximum possible settlement for their losses. We encourage those who think they may have a claim to meet with us for a free initial consult to learn more about their legal rights and to receive a thorough evaluation of their case. Call us at (303) 932-8666 to get your case started at no upfront cost.