Getting a driver’s license is a pivotal moment for many teenagers. While driver’s licenses give them one more of the freedoms associated with adulthood, however, few teenagers are fully aware of the important responsibilities they assume when they get behind the wheel of a vehicle.
Below and in an second installment of this blog, we will highlight some shocking statistics regarding teen driving and motor vehicle accidents involving teens. If you have a teenager who will be getting or has receiving obtained a driver’s license, going over some of these statistics may more clearly underscore the importance of taking their new roles as drivers seriously.
General Statistics for Teen Motor Vehicle Accidents
- Motor vehicle accident rates for drivers between 16 and 19 years old are higher than those for any other group of drivers.
- Car accidents are the number one cause of death among teenagers. In fact, more than 7 teenagers die every day due to fatal motor vehicle accident injuries.
- Teen motorists are four times more likely than drivers who are 25 years old and older to be involved in a fatal motor vehicle accident.
- Teen drivers who are most likely to get into fatal motor vehicle accidents include those who are male, those who are driving with more than one other teen in their car and/or those who received their driver’s licenses within the past few months (i.e., new licensed teens).
- Teen drivers who have even one other teenager in their vehicle are about 2.5 times more likely to drive recklessly (than teen motorists with no other teenagers in their car). This risk increases as the number of teenaged passengers in the vehicle increases, as it jumps to three-fold when there are two or more other teen passengers in the vehicle.
Be sure to look for the forthcoming second part of this blog for some additional teen driving accident statistics.
Centennial Car Accident Attorneys at the Law Office of Mike Hulen, PC
If you have been injured in or have lost a loved one in a truck accident, car accident or in any type of traffic accident, you are encouraged to consult with the motor vehicle accident lawyers at the Law Office of Mike Hulen, PC. Meeting with one of our esteemed attorneys as soon as your health is stabilized can ensure that you ultimately have the strongest case possible, as waiting will start immediately running out the statute of limitations for your case and could even result in the loss of critical evidence.
Our trusted Centennial personal injury and accident attorneys have a proven track record of successfully handling car accident cases, wrongful death suits and other types of personal injury lawsuits, and we are experienced at helping victims and their families secure the maximum possible settlement for their losses. We encourage those who think they may have a claim to meet with us for a free initial consult to learn more about their legal rights and to receive a thorough evaluation of their case. Call us at (303) 932-8666 to get your case started at no upfront cost.