Picking up from Teen Driving Accident Statistics (Part 1), the following points out some additional relevant teen driving accident statistics that newly licensed teen motorists should be aware of. These statistics can underscore how crucial it is that teen drivers only get behind the wheel when they are sober and ready to focus on the task of driving.
- More than 50 percent of teenagers who die in car accidents were unrestrained (i.e., not wearing seat belts) when the collision occurred.
- In more than 35 percent of fatal motor vehicle accidents involving teenagers, speeding was a factor in causing the accident.
- More than 12 percent of all fatal traffic accidents caused by teen motorists involved distracted driving. In nonfatal collisions, teen drivers admit to having been using their cellphone when the crash occurred in about 13 percent of all of these accidents.
- Despite the fact that many states have bans on texting while driving (and may even prohibit new drivers from using their cellphones at all), use of cellphones while driving is the leading cause of distraction for teen drivers.
- The impairments caused by using cellphones when driving have been equated to driving after having consumed 4 beers.
- Despite the Zero Tolerance Laws that all states have for underage drunk driving (i.e., underage motorists can’t have any alcohol in their systems), more than 500 people were killed last year in traffic accidents caused by intoxicated teenage drivers.
What may be as tragic as these teen driving accident statistics is the fact that factors like speeding, drunk driving and distracted driving are all preventable causes of fatal car accidents. In other words, if teen drivers would take their roles as motorists seriously and not get behind the wheel when they are impaired or unable to focus on the task of driving, hundreds if not thousands of deaths could be avoided every year in the U.S.
Aurora County Car Accident Attorneys at the Law Office of Mike Hulen, PC
If you have been injured in or have lost a loved one in a truck accident, car accident or in any type of traffic accident, you are encouraged to consult with the motor vehicle accident lawyers at the Law Office of Mike Hulen, PC. Meeting with one of our esteemed attorneys as soon as your health is stabilized can ensure that you ultimately have the strongest case possible, as waiting will start immediately running out the statute of limitations for your case and could even result in the loss of critical evidence.
Our trusted Aurora County personal injury and accident attorneys have a proven track record of successfully handling car accident cases, wrongful death suits and other types of personal injury lawsuits, and we are experienced at helping victims and their families secure the maximum possible settlement for their losses. We encourage those who think they may have a claim to meet with us for a free initial consult to learn more about their legal rights and to receive a thorough evaluation of their case. Call us at (303) 932-8666 to get your case started at no upfront cost.