Perhaps one of the most serious types of personal injuries a person can sustain is a traumatic brain injury, as it can severely impair a person’s ability talk, think and/or coordinate his movements. Traumatic brain injuries (TBIs) occur when some force impacts the head and damages the brain. While TBIs can range from being mild to severe, they can also:
- Involve brain hemorrhaging (bleeding)
- Be caused by an object penetrating the skull and puncturing the brain
- Be marked by symptoms that are either immediately obvious or that can take days (or potentially even weeks) to become noticeable.
Traumatic Brain Injury Causes
Some of the specific events that may cause a mild to severe traumatic brain injury may include (but are not limited to):
- Car accidents and motorcycle accidents
- Falls (including slip and fall accidents or falls from elevated surfaces)
- Sports accidents
- Assaults or violent attacks
- Defective devices
- Combat-related accidents.
The specific symptoms of a traumatic brain injury will depend on:
- The area of the brain that suffers the injury (e.g., whether it’s the area of the brain responsible for communication, memory, thought, movement, etc.)
- The specific type of injury sustained (e.g., whether it’s a concussion, piercing of the brain with an object, etc.)
- The severity of the injury sustained.
In general, however, some common symptoms of traumatic brain injury can include:
- Speaking impairments
- Difficulty balancing or coordinating movements
- Difficulty going to sleep (or, alternately, difficulty waking from sleep)
- Loss of consciousness
- Memory problems
- Dilated pupils
- General confusion and disorientation.
Aurora County Car Accident Attorneys
If you or a loved one has sustained a traumatic brain injury that may have been caused by another person’s negligent or reckless behavior, you are encouraged to consult with the lawyers at the Law Office of Mike Hulen, PC.
Our trusted Aurora County personal injury and accident attorneys have a proven track record of successfully handling brain injury cases, car accident cases, wrongful death suits and other types of personal injury lawsuits, and we are experienced at helping victims and their families secure the maximum possible settlement for their losses. We encourage those who think they may have a claim to meet with us for a free initial consult to learn more about their legal rights and to receive a thorough evaluation of their case. Call us at (303) 932-8666 to get your case started at no upfront cost.