Colorado, like most other U.S. states, requires that every motorist carry a minimum amount of insurance in order to legally get behind the wheel of their vehicle (and to register that vehicle with the Department of Motor Vehicles each year). Nevertheless, a large number of drivers intentionally forego this coverage, making the conscious decision to not get car insurance – or to not get enough insurance – and still drive around.
Such decisions can ultimately impact other drivers, especially when car accidents with uninsured or underinsured motorists take place (or when drivers are hit by others who then flee the scene).
Here is a look some recent uninsured/uninsured motorist statistics that have been put together by the Insurance Research Council:
- About 1 in 7 motorists in the U.S. is driving without any auto insurance. This means that more than 14 percent of all drivers are uninsured.
- Mississippi, California and Alabama are the states with the highest percentage of uninsured drivers, with about 26 percent, 25 percent and 25 percent of drivers in these states (respectively) not having auto insurance coverage.
- Maine, Vermont and Massachusetts reportedly have the lowest number of uninsured drivers, with approximately 4 percent, 6 percent and 6 percent of motorists in these states (respectively) not having auto insurance coverage.
- About 22 percent of uninsured drivers are between the ages of 18 and 22 years old. Because these drivers tend to be less experienced, they have a higher likelihood of getting into car accidents.
- In Colorado, the number of motorists reportedly driving without any insurance is above the national average, as about 15 percent of all drivers in the state don’t have any auto insurance coverage.
- The most common reasons cited for not having auto insurance coverage include that:
- Drivers can’t afford the insurance premiums.
- Drivers say they don’t have a working vehicle.
- Drivers say they don’t use their working vehicle enough to warrant paying for insurance.
Douglas County Car Accident Attorneys at the Law Office of Mike Hulen, PC
If you have been injured in or have lost a loved one in a car accident caused by an uninsured or underinsured motorists, let the motor vehicle accident lawyers at the Law Office of Mike Hulen, PC. Meeting put their experience and resources to work for you. Our attorneys can help you build the strongest case possible so you have the best chances of obtaining the compensation you need and the justice you deserve.
Our trusted Douglas County personal injury and accident attorneys have a proven track record of successfully handling car accident cases, wrongful death suits and other types of personal injury lawsuits, and we are experienced at helping victims and their families secure the maximum possible settlement for their losses. We encourage those who think they may have a claim to meet with us for a free initial consult to learn more about their legal rights and to receive a thorough evaluation of their case. Call us at (303) 932-8666 to get your case started at no upfront cost.