Should you be involved in a truck accident, the damage to your car and the injuries you may sustain will likely be far more extensive and serious than those associated with a car accident involving two passenger vehicles. The reason for this is that the significant weight of trucks means that they can impart greater damage at lower speeds than passenger vehicles can. While truck accidents may be caused by a variety of factors, in many cases, the negligence of the truck driver himself or the company that employs the truck driver plays a role in causing (or worsening) a truck crash. In such cases, accident victims will very likely be entitled to a settlement for their injuries, mental anguish and losses by legally holding the negligent party responsible.
The following are for some general guidelines regarding when a truck driver and/or the trucking company will likely considered negligent and, therefore, liable for the truck accident:
- The truck driver will be considered negligent when he:
- Drives under the influence of drugs and/or alcohol (even if the drugs are over-the-counter or prescription drugs)
- Drives when fatigued
- Fails to comply with traffic laws, for example by running red lights, speeding and/or failing to use blinkers when changing lanes
- Trucking company will be considered negligent when it:
- Fails to properly train its drivers and/or conduct background checks on its drivers (Conducting background checks can reveal, for example, that a driver has a history of DUI convictions, a fact that should make the driver unhireable to an ethical trucking company.)
- Fails to properly and regularly maintain the trucks
- Forces drivers to drive for excessive hours, which increases the likelihood of driver fatigue-related truck accidents
In many cases, the negligence of both the truck driver and the trucking company plays a role in causing a traffic accident, and both, therefore, can be held financial accountable for a victim’s damages. If you or a loved one was involved in a truck accident, consult with the experienced Denver personal injury lawyers at the Law Office of Mike Hulen, PC. Our legal professionals are passionate about defending victims’ rights and helping them to secure the maximum possible compensation for their injuries and losses.